mercredi 17 août 2011

Breath of air (not all that fresh)

Well things have been extremely hard this last year and I finally hit breaking point a few months back. Willy and I decided it was time for us to take a breather from the kids for a couple of days and enjoy our time together without the constant worry that Zoe is in too much pain or that I may or may not be giving enough attention to Paul and Mia.

Juggling healthy kids with a sick kid is not easy because of course our focus is more on the one who isn't well, so we are forever checking ourselves for 'attention time' for both Paul and Mia. Only once I have checked and double checked that Zoe is OK and that Paul and Mia seem fine, I forget about Willy and I and mostly the 'I'!

We left the kids with Willy's parents and took the train to Paris. 2 hours of non-interrupted reading and I was in heaven! Willy's friend met us at the train station because he was lending us his apartment  for the night and we went on a 20 minute walk through the city until we reached his 4th floor apartment. Just next door was a cute little Japanese restaurant and since I had been dreaming of sushi for a while we decided to stop in and have a bite to eat. YUM'O!!

We dumped our bag and then headed for the Metro (It is the most disgusting smelling place you could imagine, the minute you get in there you want to get in the shower and scrub yourself with the strongest cleaning product you could find). We were on our way to the University of Medicine to check out a museum (which kids are not able to visit) I was very excited to be visiting it but alas it was closed for the summer! Yep the busiest period in France and it was closed!!!! Oh well not to worry we went to buy some Nespresso instead.

We were meeting friends for a picnic on the River Seine, so we went and bought baguette, ham, cheese, cherry tomatoes, olives and lots of red wine! Not forgetting the bottle of Champagne we had brought with us from home. It was a magic night of easy laughter and beautiful sights! I know they say Paris is the most romantic city in the world but really it is dirty and smelly and there are more crazy people in the Metro than in all of the mental hospitals in France! That is my opinion anyway. However when you are above ground the buildings are amazing and the preserved history leaves you awestruck!! "says me coming from a colonial country which can barely wipe its own back-side because it is so 'New'. Australia was founded by the English in 1770. So walking amongst some of the oldest buildings in Paris that date back to 1172 was pleasurable (bad smell excluded)!!!

I called the kids to make sure all was fine and to say their goodnight prayer with them and I felt at ease! I missed them but I was very happy to relax and not have to think about everything.

The next morning we headed back into Les Halles to have breakfast and watch a movie in ENGLISH :)

We didn't get time to see a museum because we only had 3 hours before our train but we walked around and talked and enjoyed each others company. It was wonderful. I had forgotten how it felt and I have made a promise to myself that I will try and take time out for myself more often.

We came home and the kids all burst out of the house and wrapped their arms around us. It was an amazing moment and the perfect end to a wonderful 2 days!

All the kids are in one piece and no one is sick! However Zoe has WORMS! Paul thought that was hilarious until my Mother in-law informed him that it will be quite possible that he will have them also. GROSS! A trip to the pharmacy first thing in the morning to find a treatment I think :) 

I will be happy to kiss them goodnight tonight!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire